Have you heard about the latest trend in sports? Pickleball has taken the nation by storm, with people of all ages and skill levels getting in on the action. Whether you’re a seasoned athlete seeking to itch your competitive bone or are simply looking for a fun way to stay active, pickleball is an excellent choice for your. Given the way that the game has gained traction of late, we wanted to share a bit about the game with you. Hopefully this overview of the game rules and explanation of how easily you can get started playing will help you better understand the craze, and maybe push you to give it a try yourself!
What is Pickleball?
Pickleball is a racket sport that combines elements of tennis, badminton, and ping-pong. It’s played on a court that’s about half the size of a tennis court, with a net that’s slightly lower. The game can be played with two or four players, and the objective is to hit a perforated plastic ball over the net and onto your opponent’s side of the court without them returning it.
The game was invented in the mid-1960s by Joel Pritchard, a congressman from Washington State, and his friends Bill Bell and Barney McCallum. As a group of three dads, they created the game as a way to create some fun with their children and wives in the midst of a summer vacation. It was just a few years after the idea was born that the first official pickleball court was built, and shortly after that, the pickleball corporation was formed to protect the creation of the game. Today, pickleball is played all over the world, and there are more than three million players here in the United States alone!
What are the Rules of Pickleball?
Like any sport, pickleball has a set of rules that players must follow. Here’s a brief overview:
- Each player serves the ball underhand from behind the baseline.
- The serve must be diagonal and land in the opponent’s service court.
- After the serve, the ball must bounce once on each side of the net before players can start volleying.
- Players must stay behind the baseline when serving and return to the baseline after each shot.
- The first team to score 11 points (with a two-point lead) wins the game.
- If the game is tied at 10-10, play continues until one team has a two-point lead.
How to get Started Playing Pickleball
Now that you know the basics of pickleball, it’s time to get out there and start playing. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Find a court: Many parks and recreation centers have pickleball courts available for public use. Check your local listings or ask around to find a court near you.
- Get some gear: All you need to get started is a paddle and some comfortable shoes. You can find pickleball paddles at most sporting goods stores or online retailers.
- Find a partner: While pickleball can be played with two or four players, it’s more fun with a partner. Ask a friend or family member to join you, or search for a league in your area.
Tips for Playing Pickleball
Now that you’re ready to start playing pickleball, here are some tips to help you improve your game:
- Practice your serve: A good serve is essential to winning at pickleball. Spend some time practicing your underhand serve and trying different angles to keep your opponent off guard.
- Stay at the baseline: It can be tempting to rush the net, but staying at the baseline gives you more time to react to your opponent’s shots.
- Be patient: Don’t try to hit winners on every shot. Instead, focus on keeping the ball in play and waiting for your opponent to make a mistake.
The Benefits of Playing Pickleball
Aside from being a fun and competitive sport, pickleball also offers numerous health benefits. Here are some of the ways that playing pickleball can improve your health:
- Cardiovascular health: Pickleball is a great way to get your heart pumping and improve your cardiovascular health.
- Balance and coordination: The game requires quick reflexes and precise movements, which can help improve your balance and coordination.
- Stress relief: Like any physical activity, pickleball can help reduce stress and improve your overall mood.
Pickleball is a fun way to get outside and work up a sweat, and it is so easy to pick up. Whether you’re looking for a new way to stay active or seeking a competitive outlet, pickleball has something to offer you. With courts available all over the country and a welcoming community of players, there’s never been a better time to get in on the action. Grab a paddle, find a partner, and start playing today!
With our 100% money-back guarantee and vetted coaches, anyone can achieve their full athletic potential. CoachUp is the safest and easiest way to find a coach for personalized training. Find your perfect coach today and become the athlete you want to be!