“An athlete’s body requires fuel by way of food.” USA Today High School Sports recently shared expert nutrition tips for high school athletes. Proper nutrition is essential to performance and these tips can make all the difference once hectic schedules filled with school, practices and homework start!
- Stay on schedule – Plan your three meals a day the night before and keep plenty of snacks on hand.
- Hydration is key – Sip water throughout the day and listen to your thirst.
- Pre-game meal – Ideally athletes should eat a well-balanced meal two hours before game time.
- Post-game meal – Try to eat a snack or meal consisting of lean protein within 30 minutes to help muscles repair faster.
- Don’t be afraid of fats – Healthy fats like avocados, peanut butter and nuts are great options for an active young adult.
- Soda and fast food – Keep them as an occasional treat and never eat these before a practice or game.
For further information on these tips or more advice including how much protein is too much and what role supplements like vitamins play in a teenage athlete’s routine, visit the full article
If you're looking for some healthy recipes that will help you train on another level, be sure to check out the CoachUp Cookbook.