When it comes to entertaining activities in the Northeast, there are plenty of hidden gems that are also quite cheap. Check out our list of the top 13 affordable sport events in the greater Boston and New England area this summer.
Minor League Baseball:
1. AAA: Pawtucket Red Sox (Pawtucket, Rhode Island) Tickets are $5-12. McCoy stadium can seat just over 10,000 spectators and showcases some of the top talent in the Red Sox farm system. Be sure to check out Dollar Menu Mondays for some cheap eats.
2. AA: New Britain Rock Cats (New Britain, Connecticut) New Britain Stadium, which seats about 7,000 spectators, is a great place to catch a game in the Connecticut area. Tickets range from $6-20.
3. New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Manchester, New Hampshire): Northeast Delta Dental Stadium is a beautiful new stadium built in 2005 that has a Major League feel at a fraction of the price. A Hilton Garden Inn beyond the left field wall overlooks the field; a Sam Adams Bar and Grill in the outfield adds to the appeal. Be sure to stay for one of the 29 spectacular fireworks shows after games this season. Ticket prices are $6-12.
4. Portland Sea Dogs (Portland, Maine): The Fenway Park replica stadium can seat over 7,000 spectators and has a Boston feel, with a Citgo sign and a Green Monster in left field. Tickets: $9-$10.
5. A: Connecticut Tigers (Norwich, Connecticut) Dodd Stadium seats just over 6,000 spectators and has plenty of children activities as well as the hole in the wall bar with a surplus of premium drafts on tap.
6. Lowell Spinners (Lowell, Massachusetts): Great baseball is located just outside of the city. Ticket prices range from $4-8, which is sure to keep parents happy. Plus, lots of children's entertainment between innings helps to keep your kids happy, with cartoons, t-shirt tosses, sumo wrestling, and even an area just for kids.
7. Bridgeport Bluefish (Bridgeport, CT): The Ballpark at Harbor Yard offers affordable luxury with box seats for just $10. Prices have dropped this season, and it couldn’t be a better time to catch a great baseball game in Fairfield County.
8. Vermont Lake Monsters (Burlington, VT): Historic Centennial Field is great place to watch America’s pastime while in the upper parts of New England. The park was built in 1904 and has gone under major renovations since. With very affordable tickets at just $5-$8, it is a great night out for kids and parents.
9. Cape Cod Baseball League: The Cape Cod Baseball League showcases the top underclassmen collegiate baseball players in the country. The games are great for all ages and have a relaxed summer feel to them. Popular teams such as the Chatham Anglers and the Cotuit Kettleers have great venues to watch a game. Did I mention that it is FREE?
10. Soccer: New England Revolution (Gillette Stadium) The New England Revolution are having yet another spectacular season as they sit atop the Eastern Conference of the MLS. The Revolution offer a premier soccer experience just outside of Boston. After this year's World Cup, a Rev's ticket is sure to be a hot item in New England this summer. Tickets start at $24.
11. Liverpool FC vs AS Roma (Fenway Park): International powers Liverpool FC and AS Roma meet for for this summer's Football at Fenway. This is a can’t miss event for any soccer fan. Finding games with such talent is a struggle in the States, so be sure to get your tickets soon as they are sure to sell out quickly. Currently tickets are starting at $50.
12. Lacrosse: Boston Cannons (MLL) Lacrosse is one of the fastest growing sports in the country, and tickets to the MLL are a hot item this summer. The Cannons get to play at the unique Harvard Stadium that has the feel of an old Coliseum. Tickets start at just $19.
13. Tennis: For the tennis lovers out there, the Boston Lobsters are celebrating their 10th season. The Lobsters are located in Manchester, MA right off Route 128. Children’s tickets start at just $15.
Maybe these fun summer activities will inspire you to hit the court or field yourself. Take a stab at learning a new a sport with a sports coach in the area.