My coaching experience is probably unlike any other coach’s as I started later than some and took a different path than most. I am chasing my childhood dreams to become a high school head coach and then one day coach at the college level. I have coached at the youth level, middle school level, and the semi-professional level as well as served as a student assistant manager/coach at the Division I college level. Private coaching has been a way to fill that coaching void when I have been out of organized coaching. I started about 2 years ago after being medically discharged from the Marine Corps after a very productive career. I picked up my first client not through Coach Up but through Craigslist only because I did not know about Coach Up yet. A father contacted me about his son Chase Austin, who was a sophomore Defensive Back at Summit High School and had made the varsity team but was not playing. He had aspirations of going on to college to play football and wanted to start the process of putting in extra work. The mom and dad had faith in me and hired me every Saturday and Sunday during the off season to prepare him for the upcoming season. That season he also became a Wide Receiver and ended the season with 2 INTs and 3 TD catches. I helped Chase clean up his techniques as a DB and helped increase his agility and speed as well as conditioning. Chase now is a running back and recently was named to the Dandy Dozen list locally and received a letter from the University of Michigan football program. The rest is history.
I recently found my second client and newest project in Freshman Nose Tackle Tyler Martin from Smyrna High School and I am having a ball not only coaching him football wise but also mentoring him as well.
As far as other stops in my coaching career the major highlights are as follows:
• Two years served as a student assistant with the Middle Tennessee State University football program. Worked for Art Kaufman the Linebacker Coach my first season on the field and Les Herrin the Defensive Line Coach who had come from the Citadel and was also the Defensive Coordinator for the 1981 Clemson National Champion Football Team
• Coached Linebackers for the upstart Camp Lejeune Bulldogs Semi-Professional Football team at Camp Lejeune. As a member of the Gridiron Developmental Football League out of Memphis, TN, I helped build the foundation of a defense that would facilitate 3 shutouts during the season while allowing a league low average of 8 points per game. The Bulldogs finished 7-3 and made the playoffs in their first season but was eliminated in the first round.
• Coached Linebackers and Assisted with Defensive Line for the defending 2011 Semi-Professional Football BCS National Champion Nashville Storm. Team finished 12-1, won the first ever National Football Association USA League Championship and was defeated by the Racine Raiders in the Semi-Pro Football BCS National Championship game. The Storm finished ranked number 10 in the country. I had the honor of coaching former Columbia Central Standout and ACC-All Freshman Linebacker Fred Sparkman. I also had the pleasure of coaching President Driver, the younger brother of Green Bay Packer great Donald Driver
• Served as the Defensive Coordinator, Linebacker Coach and Running Back Coach for the Harding Academy Generals middle school football team in west Nashville. Successfully transitioned the 6th grade junior varsity and 7th/8th grade varsity teams to a 4-4 defense after being a 50 defense team. The junior varsity team finished 6-2 after losing the first two in a row. The varsity team finished 5-1. Both teams enjoyed multiple games with multiple defensive turnovers
• Head Coach/ Defensive Coordinator/ Linebacker Coach for the Grundy County Junior Jackets Middle School Football Program for the 2013/2014 season. Successfully transitioned team to a 4-4 defensive scheme and enjoyed good success defensively.
The game of football has given me so much, taught me many lessons about life and being a man, and the game itself is special to me. I want nothing more than to share my love and knowledge of the game with football players of all levels from youth to the semi-professional levels. I will work with any position and any age between 7 and 30. I am experienced with speed, agility, position specific techniques and fundamentals and sport specific conditioning. I also possess leadership, mentoring, and teaching skills.