Greetings! Welcome to CoachUp! I am a former Soldier ("once a Soldier, always a Soldier"), recently retired from active duty from the U.S. Army (with 23 years “+” service). My primary job in the Army was as a "JAG" (Judge Advocate officer / attorney); &, thanks to you, the taxpayer, as a Soldier, I was privileged to travel to many far-flung regions, to twice deploy, & to work with all sorts of people. One thing is for sure: “You’ve got to be fit to fight - & win!” That holds true both in the military & in the battle of life. You’ve got to take on the mantle of a holistic warrior - a Warrior for Life (or, as I like to say, “Warrior IV Life”)!!!
I have been passionate about fitness & sports since my youth & am very excited to now work with CoachUp in helping you & others “be all you can be” (to borrow a venerable Army recruiting slogan from yesteryear). I hope to do this by, first, getting to know you better. What are your true priorities in life? How does “fitness” fit into the picture? How can I help you crystalize & then work toward achieving your goals?
My coaching & fitness training experience includes the following:
I. Warrior IV Life Fitness (WIVLF): Many diverse locations (2002-Present) Devised & taught “Warrior IV Life Fitness” (WIVLF), a holistic fitness-health-wellness class offered to military personnel & their family members (&, ultimately, to the general public) at many diverse locations, including:
• U.S. Army Human Resources Command - St. Louis (HRC-STL), St. Louis, MO (2002-2004);
• U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) / MacDill Air Force Base (MDAFB), Tampa, FL (2004-2006);
• Kandahar Air Field (KAF - U.S. Forces), Kandahar, Afghanistan (2004-2005);
• 89th Regional Readiness Command (RRC) / McConnell Air Force Base (MCAFB), Wichita, KS (2006-2009 & 2011-Present); &
• Personal Trainer, Fitness Instructor, WIVLF, & Yoga Teacher . Numerous military temporary duty (TDY) sites &, since 2011, throughout Wichita, KS area (YMCA, Anytime Fitness, Regent Retirement Community, et al.) (2014-Present);
II. Numerous Other Fitness Trainer Certifications, to Include:
• U.S. Army Master Fitness Trainer (Mar 2001);
• U.S. Fencing Coaches Association (USFCA) Certified Moniteur D'escrime / Instructor of Fencing (Foil, Epee, and Saber) (Oct 1995);
• CPR, AED, 1st Aid, & Emergency Oxygen Certified (actively Certified in each since Apr 2009);
• National Aerobics & Fitness Trainers Association Boot Camp Instructor Certified (Apr 2012);
• Siva Power Yoga Teacher Training / Yoga Alliance (RYT 200 Hour Level Certification) (Jun 2011);
• Healthways SilverSneakers (Classic-2015) (Mar 2015);
• YMCA Training Certifications:
o Foundations of Group Exercise (Apr 2009 & Apr 2011);
o Healthy Lifestyle Principles (Apr 2009);
o Cardio & Step Aerobics Instructor (Apr 2009);
o Fundamentals of Lifestyle Wellness Coaching (Jun 2011);
o Yoga Choreography (Jun 2011);
o Foundations of Strength & Conditioning (Aug 2014);
o Pilates Instructor (Nov 2014);
III. Assistant Professor / Assistant Coach - Kansas Wesleyan University (KWU), Salina, KS (1993-1995):
Taught Criminal Justice & Business courses (both Graduate & Undergraduate). Assistant Coach of KWU Men's Basketball Team. Started fencing program, taught fencing & founded & coached “Coyote Fencing Club.” Chaired Judiciary Committee. Advised, mentored, & counseled students & prospective students. Revised & expanded Criminal Justice Program. Instituted, organized, managed, & advised “Legal Studies Club.”
IV. Middle School Head Basketball Coach - St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic School (STA), Wichita, KS (2014-2018).
V. Master of Arts in History of Sport & Culture - De Montfort University (DMU), Leicester, England, UK (Jan 2013).