We learn proper soccer fundamentals.
We sharpen good fundamentals - always improving.
We enhance skills, one by one.
We link improved skills together - just like in a match.
- touch on the ball (all parts of the foot)
- ball control (deliberate, positive first touch - receiving easy passes, handling bouncing balls/balls in the air, dribbling - moves, fast, in tight spaces, cutting turning)
- body control (balance, explosiveness, agility, soccer-speed)
- passing (short, long, chips, switches, through-balls)
- shooting (driven, bending, side-netting)
- serving the ball into the box from the wing
- defending (one on one, defensive-unit-tactics)
- shielding (protecting the ball, transforming a protect-the-ball situation into an attack situation)
- fifty-fifty balls
- offensive positioning, soccer IQ, vision, decision making
- where to 'direct your gaze during play' (should your eye be on the ball? your head up?, etc, situation-dependent)
What do you think your strengths and weaknesses are? Let's enhance your strengths and "fix" your weaknesses! I am happy to help you assess the state of your game. I tailor a curriculum for you lesson by lesson to complement your development.
By the end of your first session, we'll have improved your...
- Good first touch (maximizing opportunities when you receive easy passes, controlling difficult passes, managing bouncing balls)
- Keeping your balance (when initiating a 'move', when taking a shot, when defending)
- Playing with your head up - you'll learn exactly what you ought to look for, how you ought to look for it. (Later we address how to process your on field radar reconnaissance at game speed). We'll be very specific about this - the game will 'slow down' for you - you will play better!
- Precise passing accuracy - serving the ball exactly where you want it, knowing where your teammate needs it
- Speed - throttle control - when and how to do things quickly, when to do things comfortably
We will take an inventory of where the student is as we begin training together. By the second or third session, we can constantly tailor a bespoke progression of drills/exercises based on pressing needs. We will always look to amplify your strengths, and encourage you to seek maximum joy in the game! We will also be frank about your weaknesses, and show you that there is no on field skill that can't be learned!
- technique (touch) on the ball
- - coerver style drills
- - - you will become a complete player as you develop two equally strong feet.
- - - you will be able to do this with your head up, gaining on field intelligence, all the while
- fundamentally correct passing form + first touch
- - training at a 'handball' court such that we can make use of a real "wall"
- fundamentally correct 'driving the ball' form
- - shooting, long distance passing, service into the box
- connecting optimal individual play to the team game
- - we use drills as well as multimedia (youtube videos, etc) to demonstrate the power of movement 'off the ball', making runs
- - explain strategic positioning, logical decision making, how to make your teammates better
- - 'situation recognition'
- - - how to keep your head up while playing
- - - how to make decisions based on the locations/movements/patterns of the players on the field
- - - - knowing when it is time to run with the ball vs. make the pass
- - - - knowing when it is time to take the shot vs. fake the shot
- writeup / review of what we covered, and where we will go next
- annotated list of youtube video drills to mimic for 'homework'
- - i will provide textual context and curate a program of youtube video drills to reinforce our session at your convenience at home
- strength/conditioning/flexibility/diet training and/or advice can certainly be provided.
- a multidisciplinary approach towards achieving the optimal health of the athlete is favored; "whatever works", empirically, for the athlete, from yoga/mobility to weight training, is encouraged.
- we can determine good habits and routines that balance the enjoyment of life with the enjoyment of exercise/athleticism
- we will improve the athlete's match fitness such that their speed, strength, and stamina never limiting their ability to play at their highest possible level.