Being a collegiate student-athlete takes a special person who possesses a specific set of skills. However, being a successful student-athlete who excels in the classroom, on the field, and in the community requires much more than that. To achieve success at the next level, you must have a certain mindset. Many student-athletes enter college with the intent of being successful but its not as easy as just saying it. To excel at anything in life requires a great deal of pride, belief, confidence, commitment, discipline, and focus. The opportunity to play intercollegiate athletics provides student-athletes with a number of values, lessons, and skills learned as part of the ongoing process that carry over as life skills.
What are some of the best traits of student-athletes who achieve success at the next level?
- Self-Motivated – To be the best at something there has to be intrinsic motivation, you have to want it and work hard for it!
- Time Management – The biggest challenge for a college student-athlete is how to balance school, sports, and your social life.
- Set Goals – You have to learn how to set goals for yourself, academic, athletic, and personal goals.
- Manage Your Brand – Maintaining a positive brand is important to your success at the next level. In this day and age you need to use your social media profiles to enhance your personal brand.
- Learn to Communicate – Effective communication is the key to most relationships. Learning how to interact with friends, classmates, coaches, professors, and administrators is an important skill to learn.
- Utilize Your Resources – There are plenty of people on your team willing to help. Make sure you rely on those people when necessary. Throughout college you will need help whether academic, athletic, or personal issues you are dealing with there is always someone to turn to.
- Learn From Your Mistakes – As humans we are not perfect, we are bound to make mistakes. But the biggest mistake is repeating our previous mistakes.
- Find Balance – Being a college student-athlete is very demanding, its important that you do your best to find balance and try to find YOU time. College is an experience that is meant to be fun, try to do things that make you happy outside of your sport.
- Self Care – Your body will take some wear and tear, you need to take care of your health. It means eating right, getting enough sleep, and taking the necessary steps to help recover quickly from games and practices.
Most successful student-athletes would probably agree that although that playing college sports is not easy, it is definitely a rewarding experience. Your collegiate career will be over before you know it, so savor the moments and enjoy the experience.
CoachUp is the safest and easiest way to find a coach for personalized training. With our 100% money-back guarantee and vetted coaches, anyone can achieve their full athletic potential. Find your perfect coach today and become the athlete you want to be!