I have 20 years experience in coaching archery. I have worked at the US Olympic training center in Chula Vista, for 5 years. I administered all archery programs during that time including: resident athletes, coach development, and international training programs. I coached an archer at the Olympic Games in Athens and will coach for the US Paralympic Archery team in London 2012.
I am a US Archery Level 4 Coach and National Field Archery Master Coach.
M. J. Rogers
Experience Personal Coaching
• Personal coach Canadian archer Olympic Games-Athens, Greece 2004
• Wrote Coaching Chapter in book Precision Archery 2005
• Personal coach for woman competitor 2004 Olympic trials 7th place 2006 World Field team barebow 1st woman / 2007 World Indoor team 1st woman/ 2008 Olympic Trials 10th
• Personal Coach 7 archers 2002-present
• Archery team head coach Mount Marty College 2010-2012
Experience Archery Seminars Presented
• Mental Skills training Monterey Mexico 2006
• Coaches Skills training Olympic Training Center Tijuana Mex. 2007
• NADA Instructor/Youth Development training, Kadyna AFB, Okinawa Japan 2007
• Bowtech University Staff Eugene OR April 2008
• Bowtech University Dealers Eugene OR May 2008
• IFAA First Coach Certification Program Yankton SD 2011
• World Archery Field Coaches training Columbia South America 2012
Archery Coaches Training
• FITA Coaches Seminar Madrid Spain 2006
• FITA Coaches Seminar Soul Korea 2007
• NADA ASEP coaches training Orlando FL. 2007
• Kisik Lee “BEST” training 2008
• Lanny Bassham Mental Management training 2009
National Field Archery Association 1989-2012
• Administrator of Programs World Archery Festival 3-Star events.
• Assist training of state coordinators for National Archery in the Schools Program
• Chairman Instructor Committee 2004-2012
• Chairman NFAA Pro Division 1989 – 2004
USA Archery 1999-2004
• Administrator, Resident Athlete Program Chula Vista Olympic Training Center
• Recruited athletes to participate in the resident program to a current number of eight. Three of these athletes are ranked in the top eight in the U.S. and four in the top eight rolling rank Oct. 2002.
• Administrated training for athletes and coaches.
Coach Certification Courses
Colorado Springs – 1997
Chula Vista – 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
U.S. Coaches three-day Seminar
Colorado Springs – 1996
Chula Vista – 1997,1999,2000,
PASO Americas Coaches Seminars -Chula Vista – 2002
Athlete Training Camps
Cincinnati, OH – 1999
Chatham, NJ – 1999
Chula Vista – 1998, 1999. 2000, 2001, 2002
Assisted at Regional and National competitions.
NAA National Outdoor Championships – 1999, to 2006
Olympic Team Trial Finals – 1999
Jr. World Tram Trials – 2002
US Intercollegiate Archery Championship Tournament – 2002
USA Archery Judge Candidate
DOS Brown County Open – 1998
DOS JOAD Outdoor Nationals – 1998
Officiated, National Field Championship/Field Trials – 1996, 1998, 2002
Officiated, National Outdoor Target Championship – 1995, 1996, 1998
USA Archery coach / Team leader
Assistant coach - World Field Championships Austria 1998
Two individual silver medals won
Lead coach - World Field Championships Cortina, Italy 2000
One individual gold, one individual silver medal won
Lead coach – World Field Championships Canberra, Australia 2002
One individual men compound gold medal won
Team leader World Indoor – Ismir Turkey 2007
Lead coach World Field Championship Visegrad Hungary 2010
Individual SMC gold and bronze, JMC silver ,JFC silver
Lead Team leader World Field championship Val d’Isere France 2012
Individual BBM silver, CM gold & bronze, CW silver, RM silver,
Team men gold
Assistant coach Paralympic Games London 2012
Individual W1 gold, open compound men silver
Chairman of Athlete Training Committee – 1998-2002
• Serve as liaison between the Athlete Training Committee and the Coaches
• Organize meetings and recruit members for the committee.
• Implement programs based on committee recommendations.
• Report committee activities to the NAA Board of Governors semi-annually.
National Archery in the Schools (NASP)
• Program training Specialist
• Assist piloting 5 of first 12 states in program
• Assist setup Kentucky State NASP tournament 2004-present
• Assist setup of National NASP tournament 2004-present
My sessions begin with overall evaluation of the archer's expectations and ability to achieve these. Compound, recurve, or barebow all require fundamental form and technique. I work with the archer to accomplish their maximum potential applying bio-mechanical sound techniques. Sessions begin at a close range without target so total focus is on individual form. As session progress more advanced methods are introduced here depending on skill level the sky is the limit. Through out the sessions mental skills are introduced and honed.